The Macintosh has "and" an auto-mount daemon with config files. (at least Lion
did).

Essentially /Network/ is a special point managed by the AMD process that looks
for devices with the name you provide as the second argument.

If you go to the finder's go to network location, you can type in
smb://device/drive to mount a drive. There might be options for automatically
mount on login too.

besides the smb (or samba) protocol which has man pages, it is also possible or
at least in older Macintosh's was possible to use nfs: (apple file system), nfs
(based off of sun's network file system), ftp to get a read only view of a ftp
point and I think webdav:

If you want to use command line interfaces and not deal with the auto-mount
daemon, you can use the mount command to make permanent mount points.

I believe that auto-mount also has functionality to associate /users/UserName
with network addresses, but I never  researched that, I just remember seeing
something about in in the "/etc" directory.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Aug 20, 2016, at 5:45 PM, Alex Hall <mehg...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I just got my hard drive connecte to my router, and yes, the drive is
> formatted to work with Macs. I can see the drive contents, but to do that, I
> have to open the network item in Finder, then the router, then the drive. If
> I wan to type the path to some folder on this drive, how would I do it? I'm
> used to Windows, where I might do \\someComputerName\folder\subfolder. On the
> Mac, though, I imagine things are quite differen.
> On a related note, is there anything else about using network drives on the
> Mac that I houl kno? I've never done it before, so want to make sure there
> are no problems or things to watch for. Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> list.

> ---
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.