Hello All,

I am posting this to both the V iPhone and Mac Visionaries mailing lists.

Back in February of 2016, I posted a question with the subject line of "A
Question About Audio Descriptive Movies in iTunes".  I will paste in the
original message, below my signature.

In that message, I wanted to know if movie rentals contain the audio
description track just as the purchased movies do.

More specifically, however, I was commenting on the fact that one of my
favorite movies, "Edge of Tomorrow", starring Tom Cruz, did not appear to
have the audio description track, available in theaters, included in its
iTunes rental download package.  A short time later, a friend of mine
actually purchased the movie and confirmed that it, also, did not contain
the audio description track.  In all fairness, however, nowhere in the movie
description did iTunes claim that the movie had an audio description track.

Okay, a short time after confirming that "Edge of Tomorrow" did not include
audio description, I sent an email via the iTunes movie portal, requesting
that the track be added to this particular title.  I made it very clear that
such a track existed as I personally enjoyed it in the theater.  If memory
serves, I received some kind of reply from Apple, back in February stating
that they had received my request and would look into it.  To be honest, I
did not take them very seriously as their reply felt very much like a boiler
plate, (smile).

Well, last night, as I was cleaning up my Wish List, on my 4th generation
Apple TV, I decided to take one more look at the information for "Edge of
Tomorrow", before removing it from my list, permanently.

I was stunned and delighted to see that, as part of the description, the
letters A D had been added.  I was not certain that A D meant audio
description available, as many newer films are more explicit in this area
but, taking a chance, I decided to rent the movie.

You guessed it, the audio description track was included in the download.
What a wonderful thing.

>From now on, if I discover that a movie, for which I am certain contains an
audio described track, as published in a commercial theater, is not included
in an iTunes movie offering, I will request that the track be added to the
download.  You may want to do the same.

By the way, I enjoyed watching the movie, with the audio description track,
even more at home than I did in the theater as I (1) could see the video
much more clearly and (2) could control the playback.  Be that as it may,
the social aspect of enjoying a movie with friends, in a theater, does add
enormous value to the movie-watching experience that cannot be dismissed.

Mark

Original Post, Dated February 24, 2016:

Subject:  A Question About Audio Descriptive Movies in iTunes

Hello All,

I am posting this question to both the V iPhone and Mac Visionaries mailing
list.

My primary question:
Is the audio description track included when renting a movie from iTunes? or
must one purchase the movie in order to receive the audio description track.

My secondary question:
If a movie debuted with an audio description track in the theater, does it
follow that the movie will include that track in the iTunes store version of
the movie?

Here's my situation:
Last summer I saw the movie entitled "Edge of Tomorrow", in the theater,
complete with audio description.  To me, it was a fabulous movie.  Just so
you know, the film is now marketed and sold under the title, "Live die
Repeat".

A couple of days ago, a sighted friend of mine rented Live die Repeat, from
the iTunes Store.  She watched it on her iPad.  Even though many titles, in
the iTunes Store, are not listed as having audio description, I was hoping
that, like so many others, given that the film was released with audio
description in the theater, the track would be included on the download.

According to her, she could not hear any audio description despite having
the settings on her iPad configured correctly.

I should probably add that, to my dismay, I discovered that the DVD copy of
this title, I purchased when it was first made available, did not include
the audio description track, either.

I would so much like to enjoy this movie again but I fear, that, unless I
can locate a version that includes the audio description track, I will not
be able to relive the experience of "Edge of Tomorrow".

All replies most welcomed.

Mark

list.