Hi Mark,
I can confirm your findings.  In fact, this problem also occurs if Auto Lock is
set to a longer time.  In my case, I tested your model at 30 seconds, and also
my usual setting of one minute.  In both cases, iBooks will stop speaking after
a length of time, usually longer than the Auto Lock setting.  It does take much
longer to produce the stoppage when Auto Lock is set to one minute, but it will
happen.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada