Hi Andy,

I believe that Anne was suggesting that you maybe are just accidentally
brushing your hand or thumb on the TrackPad itself.  Not that you're
necessarily doing anything with the TrackPad commander.  The TrackPad can often
be quite sensitive and, thus, react to inadvertent touching by moving the mouse
pointer due to that touch or brush.  If you have a USB mouse, there's an option
whereby you can turn off the Trackpad when this is connected.  The setting is
in System Preferences, Accessibilityy.  Select the Mouse & TrackPad from the
Accessibility features table then check the box that tells the MacBook to
ignore the TrackPad when an external mouse or TrackPad is present.

HTH.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada