Have had one or two pdf files like you described, one of which was a
product return form so I had to convert it anyway to a plane text
format where I could edit it easier, thus text edit.  So in these
cases have used Abby Fine reader to convert it ove and then just work
on the or read or edit the converted document  That's probably just
one option though, might be able to do some conversions within
preview itself for a more readable format, it just happened in those
couple of cases that I wanted ease of editing because I also had to
fill in information, so converted, thus had the original still and
what I worked on as well until I was satisfied.