On 06/01/2010, at 4:00 PM, Esther wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Dec 28, 2009, VaShaun Jones wrote:
>
>> Listers often times I find myself needing to append text to the clipboard
>> and would really benefit from this feature. Does anyone know of a way to do
>> it on the Mac or do you know of a third party who has developed such
>> application?
>>

> QuickSilver, the application that Yvonne described in her blog at:
> http://yvonnezed.posterous.com/
> supports this capability, but as I believe she mentioned in her posts, you
> may not be able to get all of this working in Snow Leopard.

As a follow up, that particular feature of QS does work in snow leopard.

Admittedly, it's not quite what you want. It doesn't append to one clipboard,
what it does if keep a history of your clipboard. So in other words, you tell
it how many entries to keep, and every time you do a cut or copy it adds to
your history. So if you wanted to paste, say, 3 or 4 bits you'd just clipped,
you couldn't just hit paste, you'd have to go back through the clipboard
history pasting each one.

The only place I've ever really seen that append to existing clipboard entry
feature is in text editors. Vim and emacs can both do it, not sure about any
others but those definitely, but that's restricted to text files in that
editor, and using that editors features.

I think the real problem is that, well, on a system clipboard, not everything
you cut/copy is text. It could be a file or a URL or an image or text.
Appending all those things together in one lump somewhere and pasting it sounds
like something that, as a programmer, would give *me* a headache, <grin>.