Here are all the iPhone 8 rumors we know about, including the crazy ones
By Michael Desjardin, Reviewed.com
Published 1:12 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2017 | Updated 1:22 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2017

Here's everything we think we know about the next iPhone.

The iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus hit the shelves last September, and like
clockwork, the web immediately began to speculate on Apple's next iPhone
release, ostensibly the iPhone 8.

By all accounts, the stage is set for the tenth anniversary iPhone to be a
doozy when its announced on September 12. Here's a round-up of all the
rumors swirling around the next iPhone release and whether or not you can
expect them to come to fruition.

How many iPhones will be announced this year?

Word on the street is that we're about to see three new iPhones unveiled at
Apple's keynote event in a few weeks. Two of these iPhones will be
slightly-modified versions of the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus. If
tradition holds, these will be the iPhone 7s and the iPhone 7s Plus.

The big announcement, however, will be the company's next flagship-the
device we're all assuming will be called the iPhone 8. Given that it's the
10th anniversary of the original iPhone, you can expect this device to be
more powerful (and more expensive) than the 7s and 7s Plus.

Rumor has it that the next iPhone will have an OLED
Rumor has it that the next iPhone will have an OLED display. (Photo:
Reviewed.com / Michael Desjardin)

Will the iPhone 8 have an OLED display?

OLED displays don't just produce dazzling colors and dizzying contrast
ratios, they also allow engineers to manipulate screens in weird and
exciting ways. Samsung gets it-Apple's major competitor has been outfitting
its flagships with AMOLED displays for years, eventually stretching them
past the edges of the phone.

According to those in the know, Apple will be offering an iPhone that
features an OLED display similar to the type found on Samsung's Galaxy
flagships. The display won't wrap around the sides of the device like
Samsung's latest phones, but the iPhone 8's screen-to-body ratio will almost
certainly be the highest in Apple's history.

In all likelihood, at least one of the iPhone models released this year will
feature an OLED display, but it's unclear whether it'll be a feature
exclusive to the iPhone 8, or if the 7s will come equipped with OLED
technology, too.

The iPhone's home button might be on its way out.
The iPhone's home button might be on its way out. (Photo: Reviewed.com /
Michael Desjardin)

If the front is all screen, does that mean the home button and selfie camera
are on their way out?

The iPhone 7 was the first iPhone to ditch the original home button in favor
of solid-state button with haptic feedback. These days, the prominent rumor
is that the iPhone 8's fingerprint scanner will either be built within the
display itself or removed entirely. And if the fingerprint scanner is out,
the home button as we know it will be, too.

Removing the home button will require an entirely new system for in-phone
navigation. Instead of tapping the home button to return to the home screen,
users will probably have to learn a new set of gestures to get around iOS.

There's also been talk about the next iPhone's front-facing camera being
embedded behind the display and hidden from sight. This one would take some
tricky engineering so I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet. Instead,
there will probably be a small region above the display reserved for the
selfie camera and facial recognition sensors.

That's right-the iPhone 8 will most likely feature some combination of iris-
or facial-recognition in lieu of its fingerprint scanner getting the boot.

What about wireless charging?

Chances are you'r familiar with Samsung's wireless charging pad, but what
about wireless charging without the need for a pad?

Rumor has it that Apple already struck a deal with a company called
Energous, which developed a wireless charging system that charges devices up
to fifteen feet away from their source.

Basic, inductive charging is the more likely of the two outcomes here. If I
had to guess, I'd say that Apple will be selling wireless charging pads on
the same day as the iPhone 8's release. I could even see the feature finding
its way into the less-premium iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus.

Original Article at:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/reviewedcom/2017/09/01/here-are-all-the-
iphone-8-rumors-we-know-about-including-the-crazy-ones/97404986/

list.