Hi Bryan,

You might want to read through my archived list post about using variable in VoiceOver here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/msg08577.html
(Re: Another List? was: Re: apple script and vo)

This contained excerpted posts from earlier correspondence off of this list about Automator (under Leopard) using variables. Actually, even at that time you didn't have to double-click to select actions -- carriage return would add the action to the workflow. Quite a lot of the way that navigation was outlined there reflects historical behavior -- for instance, on applications where VoiceOver accessibility is in a transitional state, I almost always have my mouse cursor track my VoiceOver cursor so I can click on and activate selections that I can't otherwise use. So there may also now be simpler ways to navigate, although what is outlined will work.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther