Will this also work with external drives.  I assume it doesn't matter.
However, sometimes, my external drive is disconnected from the machine.

This would really be cool, because, I could then backup my Mac on the journal
partition, however, I would be able to share the other partition with my
windows machine.  It would be vary nice indeed!