Interjecting  some humor here.
I do agree I am surprised anyone would take such contacts seriously these days. Still, last week, I got a voicemail on my landline informing me of a *serious!* and *Dangerous!* security issue on my pc...with a tole free number for me to call.
Wishing now that I had recorded both conversations, I phoned back.
Good evening I said, I understand you believe I have a serious security issue on my computer.
person, Oh yes that is correct!  Its good you called right away.
Me, most certainly I look forward to your explanation. You see I use DOS, and...click from the other end.
Not taking offense I called back getting another person.
Hi, I said, you left a message claiming my computer has a dangerous security issue is that right?
New person, Yes ma'am that's right.
Me, As I use DOS, kindly explain this security issue..he had the good grace to laugh. Me, so you are actually calling people trying to scam them out of something aren't you?
Person...well yes ma'am.
Given he was being honest I suggested he find a more positive way to influence the universe told him I was reporting him, got an apology, and we hung up.
Kare