Hi,

Depends.  Apple products tend to have a very small markup.  That's not to say
that Apple doesn't make bags of money from there hardware, just that other
retailers don't make a huge profit either.  That being said, third party
venders like BestBuy and such will often put Apple products on sale at a bit of
a loss because they wish to get rid of product.  They make enough money off of
other things and sell the occasional warranty package that really makes them
cash.  So, yes, you're correct that you'll often see some pretty good sales
during this time of the year on Apple products mostly from folks other than
Apple themselves.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher