Hi Jess,
This is a serious issue, one that absolutely cannot be managed from a faction standpoint. Anyone who has issues managing regular print, and indeed those with learning disabilities use screen reading technology, will be ousted if the trend continues. I collect print books, and use my still very practical scanner, but its a stand alone model allowing me to flawless transfer its contents into electronic form. However as a researcher I like students use vast qualities of academic material. If text books are becoming available electronically then the best place to start is the place that approves these books for schools, that is the department of education, in your state and at the federal level. Again the issue is access, period, not by consumers with vision loss, or a reading disability or any other tool that makes managing a book an issue. It is for *all* students in this arena to have materials accessible at the same level of everyone else. a petition in my view is not necessarily a good start, anyone can do that same as with facebook or twitter. instead start with a real person, your congressperson senator, those who sit on education committees that govern what a publisher must do for their book to be used in classrooms. and of course press, general public press not faction press. You do not need to preach to the choir, you need to educate those who might not consider this issue on their own. If you want, write me privately and I can see if I can connect you with a reporter for the story. No promises, but I should know someone down there.
Karen