From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John André Netland
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 10:04 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: New Group member

Hi Linda, and welcome to the list!

I think you are looking for two different settings here. The setting you
refer to, is to select what folder is automatically opened when you
opens a new Finder window with command-N. You can for example choose to
have the Documents window opened when you enter command-N - or any other
folder you choose. To do this, press command-; to enter the Finder
preferences, find the Toolbar at the top of the window, interact with it
(control-option-down arrow) and Click on the General button. Stop
interaction (control-option-up arrow) and find the pop-up menu somewhere
far down in the window. When finished, just close the window.

On the other hand, if what you would like to do is choosing how all
windows are opened - that is what kind of view you would like it to show
by default, you might set it to column. Instead of opening the Finder
preferences with command-; try opening the View options for Finder with
command-J. the first checkbox will give you the option to have windows
always open in column view. Column view is what I prefer, but try all
options and see what you like best.

Hope this helps,
John André