Gina,

You're asking about the next level of configuration when asking about
static or dynamic. That's the configuration of the IP address, the
netmask, the identification of the gateway, and of name resolving
servers, i.e. dns.

I'm not getting far enough for those questions to even come up. For the
record I'm set for dhcp, but it's not yet relevant. Here's why:

When I press VO+m+m and arrow to the wifi menu, there are no access
points listed to choose among. None. Zip. Nada. There's a message in
that menu that says "no signal."

If I go under System Preferences and then Networking I can eventually
move myself to a set of tabs, one of which is 802.1x. There's nothing
special there. It's all default Apple configuration. But, the machine
isn't seeing anyone to talk to.

Same hardware, same electricity, different results between OS X that
ain't working, and Windows and Linux that are.

This is an analog issue of some kind. It's about establishing a radio
link. Until a radio link is proferred, nobody's login or permissions
pol.icies can possibly apply.

Best,

Janina