Truth be told, I never have a scheduled time for having my systems pick up mail asside from the fact that whenever my email client is open, it'll grab the mail every five minutes or so. So in the spirit of embarking on an adventure, I'll try my hand at creating filters for the Mac e-mail client. I'll just make sure that Thunderbird on the PC isn't running. Do you know if there is a good "how to" on this subject out there?

Again, it's nice having you on my radar, Aman!

Mike

On 2010-02-21 17:55, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi, Mike.
        To answer your question, I don't think there should be any issue at
all so long as you don't have both systems set up to receive and organize
the mail at a specific time schedule. That is, so long as the systems are
receiving mail and organizing it on command rather than, perhaps, every ten
minutes, there should be no issues. It might be interesting to see what
happened of both systems were attempting to reorganize messages at the same
time. This isn't because IMAP would have trouble with this, IMAP
specifically allows simultaneous access, but some implementations aren't
really robust enough to take significant work by more than one client on
more than one message. Basically, if you have either computer to work on a
schedule, and if the other computer starts its own work at the same time,
you are reliant on the excellence of the server to handle things properly.
However, if the systems are working one by one, there should be no problem.
Even if there was an issue, things would get a bit confused and the issues
could be corrected, it wouldn't be any sort of serious difficulty.
Further, keep in mind that some ISPs allow you to do server-side
classification of some sort. Personally, I don't like this, I prefer to have
my filters running myself and working on both my POP and IMAP servers from
the same application, but you may think differently.
        Aman