Hi,

Overlay wouldn't be an issue.  The windows from the various apps are
independent of the menus.  If there's an app, or agent, running in the
background that keeps taking focus, that may cause the issue.  These would be
special apps though, ones that do not normally have any menus as a part of
their entity.  Apps like Login window would be an example of that.  Agents like
TM Agent or Security Agent also do not have menus, but these, when front
focused, should not allow you to go to either menu set.  For agents, you can
usually press cmd-tab to cycle out of them, or press cmd-shift-h while in the
Finder to bring focus back to the proper windows.  Do you hhter...
have apps associated with your external devices?  These would be things such as
security or backup controllers.  These, or malware apps may be affecting things.

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Jamf Certified Tech
Apple Teacher