address it. I'm sure it won't be for several months but I'm pretty sure they'll
make the M-Audio control panel accessible in the future.

HTH

On Mar 10, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Cody wrote:

Slau,

Are you saying that the M audio interfaces are actually accessible? I've got a
mackie pro fx 12 channel mixer and I like it everything is tactile and is easy
to use.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Slau Halatyn" <slauhala...@gmail.com>
To: <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: possible other audio editor...for journalists at least?

Hi Krister,

That's kind of a big question but I'll try to answer it as concisely as I can.

Pro Tools comes in 2 basic flavors: TDM and host-based. The current TDM system
is called HD and is the most expensive but most expandable system found in
studios.

The host-based systems can be broken down into LE and M-Powered systems. The LE
systems require Digidesign hardware to run Pro Tools. There's the MBoxII,
MBoxII Pro, Digi003 and Digi 003 Rack. These interfaces range from around $500
to around $3,000 depending on certain software bundles, etc. Each interface has
its own limitations as far as input/output but all are capable of playing back
up to 48 stereo tracks.

The M-Powered systems use M-Audio interfaces and range from somewhere around
$250 for a dongle-like interface up to around $1,300 for a control surface. If
you have an M-Audio interface already, it's possible to just buy Pro Tools
software for around $199.

While it won't be necessary to use a control surface to access Pro tools, there
are compelling reasons to use a surface for speed and accuracy. For example,
trying to record fader automation with keystrokes is way more cumbersome and
far less accurate than simply moving a fader and recording the movement. Also,
editing audio with a scrub wheel like on the Digi 003 is an absolute breeze. Of
course, it can be done without the scrub wheel but, once you've done it that
way, you'll never want to go back.

Hopefully that answers your question a bit. Feel free to contact me off list if
you have more questions.

Cheers,

Slau