Hi all,

Since we’ve had some discussions about braille displays, I thought I’d share
the outcome of my time with the Mantis.

I’ve had my Mantis for a couple of days now, and unfortunately, it looks like
I’ll be returning it. I wanted to share why with the list, because I thought
that the issue I have may also be an issue for some of you.

First let me say that it’s a really nice device. It’s light-weight, the
keyboard is very comfortable to type on, and the way the device functions is
very well thought-out. It is very easy to pair with an i-device - I’m actually
typing on it as I write this message. So, if my issue isn’t an issue for you, I
recommend it.

Unfortunately, the Mantis has what for me is a fatal flaw. Humanware
implemented a feature in the Mantis that they implement in their other
notetakers, namely that there is a separate reader for BRF files, and a
separate word-processor where you can actually edit text. I’ve always thought
this was dumb, but I figured I’d just ignore the reader and use the editor. But
when I got my Mantis, I was saddened to learn that there’s a limit to the file
size in the Editor, so it is not possible to open books there. Since I often
read and edit simultaneously, this is a deal breaker for me. I have no idea
whether there are plans to address this in a future update, but I personally
don't want to buy a device in the hope that a feature I need will be
implemented some day.

Again, this is a nice device, so if you don’t care about this limitation, by
all means consider it. But I thought I’d save those of you who do care about it
the trouble of ordering and then having to return the device.
Cheers,
Donna

list.

caraqu...@caraquinn.com