Hi Chad,
On 17 Mar 2010, at 01:14, Chad Rohr wrote:
> I am going to be getting a Macbook soon and I wondered if Office 2008 is
> accessible?
> If not, what is something that will work and is accessible for the Mac

Office 2008 is not, although the soon to be released 2010 is rumoured to be. I
would not use it though personally. There are at least three options that i
know of for Mac so far:

1. Apple's own IWork '09 which is Apple's version of Office. This is very
accessible, although ti does have a few qwerks which hopefully, Apple will work
out. I have not used this much, so I can't give you much detail beyond this. I
do plan to look more deeply into this application though. IWork can open and
save Word files, although there are a few issues with this  at the moment
apparently.

2. Nisus Writer (Express & Pro) I have used both of these applications quite
extensively. They are quite accessible, but still need some work. Saying that,
they are perfectly usable for most types of document creation, including some
academic documents which use conventions such as footnotes and endnotes. Also,
the developers are very responsive and receptive to suggestions and feedback.
They can also open and save doc files and their default file format is RTF.

You can find them at: http://www.nisus.com & http://www.nisus.com/pro

3. Open Office - this is the open source office suite. Like MS Office and
IWork, it has word processing, spreadsheet and presentation abilities. There
has been some discussion on the list recently about an issue with the word
processor where there seems to be text boxes all over the place. As well as
being open source, this application is totally free. I think there is also
support for reading and creating doc files.

You can get it at: http://www.openoffice.org

4. PageHand - This word processor is a little different. For one thing.it has
quite a novel way of dealing with the numerous options that are common in most
word processors. It prefers to sue a sidebar option that is very accessible
instead of menus, although menus do still exist. It's native file format is
PDF, and as far as I know cannot save into anything else, although it can read
doc and RTF etc. Bare  in mind, that this application is not yet at v. 2.0. The
developer is very responsive and always receptive and open to any suggestions
and feedback - especially where language support and accessibility are
concerned.

You can get it from: http://www.pagehand.com

HTH
TC