According to what I read on the Abby site, if you can find a scanner with twain
drivers that are not emulated, Abbyy should work directly with that scanner. To
me, that implies that you wouldn't need another app to do the actual scanning
process, such as viewscan. thus far, I haven't heard of anybody who has been
using such a scanner, and I surely can't tell how to differentiate whether
drivers are emulated or the real thing, so to speak. Since a 2-step process,
where you scan all the images and then run ocr on them seems  like a huge step
backwards to me, I'm surprised at the number of people who seem happy with this
method, but more power to you all. I'd love to know if somebody out there has
found a good fast scanner that will interface directly with Fine reader so as
to avoid the need for a scanning app from which Abby receives a batch of images
for ocr. I scan dozens of books and can't imagine going back to the batch scan
approach. What do you do when you find out your settings in image acquisition
weren't quite right and you have to start scanning all over again with a
different brightness setting, for instance?  Also for Many, , the 10 minutes
noted in a previous post was the time it took to process the scanned images,
not the time it took to scan those pages. Its the manual scanning and flipping
that takes the time. With fast computers with lots of memory, ocr is not the
time eater. <smile>

mary