Well,
The answer should be yes, that it is relatively easy. Sometimes, However,
things don’t work quite that way.

So, if the drive doesn’t come up as it should, you can go into DiskUtility,
choose the drive from the sidebar, press VO+SHIFT+M and choose erase. Name it
in the edit box, choose the security level of the erase and then press the
erase button. Depending on the speed of your external connection (USB 3 or
above), this may take a few hours.

Once initialized, you can then open up a terminal window and then use the
following command to move your files:

Mv -v /path_to_original_drive/* /Path_to_destination_drive/ and then press
enter. The files will be moved starting with the first directory in
alphanumeric order and then descending into each folder after it is created on
the destination drive. This will also take rather a while, but not nearly as
long. Also, if some of the files have problems, mv will issue an error
indicating that a specific file or folder could not be moved and why. You can
then either copy those using finder or force a move with the -f flag. Also, you
might need to do this as a super user (example: sudo mv -v -f
/originating_path/* /destination_path/ ).

It’s basically that simple. :)

-Eric

> On Jun 8, 2021, at 6:41 AM, FIOGKOS <fiog...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody hope you’re doing well. I have a 2013 late I Mac running
> Catalina with a 1 TB hard drive.
> I am starting my own YouTube channel with cooking episodes. I am using iMovie
> to edit and join my Clips together. I am using my iPhone to tape my cooking
> shows and transferring the clips to the iMac. I have finished 14 episodes and
> my iMac hard drive is already half full so I bought a 4 TB hard drive from
> the Apple store. The man at the Apple Store told me the hard drive needs
> formatting but he said that when I plug it in the on-screen instructions are
> pretty straightforward. My first question is that correct? Do I need to know
> anything about using the drive for the first time? My second question is the
> following I want to move my iMovie files and some text documents onto the
> hard drive is it as easy as copying the files and then using the move command
> to the drive? How is moving the files best accomplished?
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> Regards Zoe
>

> God the father chose her
> God the sun dwelt in her
> God the spirit overshadowed her
> Most holy mother of God save us through your intercessions
> Twitter
> @FiogkosZoe
>
> Love Isn't butterflies in your stomach, love is the heart beat you feel when
> he's late

> list.

> caraqu...@caraquinn.com

> ---