I some times experience this same issue on my 2021 M1 MacBook Pro.
Tell your friend, that when he experiences this problematic phenomena, he
should toggle VoiceOver off, and then back on again.
This remedy usually works for me.

HTH.

- Brad -

On Sep 11, 2022, at 12:36, 'Gary Price' via MacVisionaries