Really, that is not a lot of money. I suppose that everyone's definition of
what constitutes "a lot" is different, but, if you're living in a modern
western country, and you have a job, even a low paying job, you can probably
afford $30 per month for anywhere, always on Internet, if you really want.

Do you ever order pizza? A large, multi topping pizza, with a side or two, and
a soda will cost over $20 with tax and tip. Cut out one pizza per month.
Problem solved.

If you aren't working, then you're probably at home a lot, so Wi-Fi will work
just fine for you.

I think that some people would be upset with a free lunch, because someone else
wasn't going to eat it for them. Your cell phone, with a good calling package,
unlimited texts, and an unlimited data plan can cost well over $100. People pay
$60 - $80 for broadband at their home. Seriously, if you can't afford an
average of $20 to access the Internet from anywhere on a futuristic
touch-controlled tablet computer, then said computer is probably not really in
your budget in the first place.

I'd prefer to be able to tether, but I understand why I can't. Further, why
would I want to? I have a Nokia phone, and it has an app that will run it as a
mobile hot spot for its 3G data connection. I could use that with the iPad's
Wi-Fi, but I won't do that. There is a huge battery in the iPad. Browsing via
my phone's 3G connection would suck up that little phone battery before the
iPad had barely begun to drain. And my phone has a really good battery. The
number one problem with the iPhone is the poor battery. How long do you really
think that your iPhone would last as a wireless hot spot?

Besides, who wants to bother with starting up phone hot spot apps or getting
some cell company hot spot setup and connected every time they need to check
something quickly on their iPad? I'd rather just take it out, turn it on, do
what I have to do, and put it away. Unlike a laptop, the iPad doesn't need to
waste time going in to, or coming out of, hibernate. It is immediately on and
immediately connected. Messing around with tethering solutions takes all of
that quick and easy on/off advantage away. It isn't always worth saving a
dollar to waste your time.

Bryan