Many years ago when the Open Software Foundation was around (now it's smaller
and called Linux Foundation), a friend of mine thought he was replying only to
his boss - instead, he sent the note to the entire board of directors and
steering committee - which, back in those days, read like a who's who of the
history of computer technology.

The note said, "Maybe if you put in some smileys people wouldn't think you are
such a prick."

Moments later, he realized what he had done, walked to the Cambridge Brewing
Company (a kille brew pub near MIT) and started getting as drunk as possible. A
few hours later, his boss arrived and laughed about the whole thing. My buddy
continued drinking himself into a near flat line stupor.

We've all made this mistake but, fortunately, rarely to the extent that my
buddy did that day in 1990 or so.

cdh