Hello,

I have heard people asking if it was possible to trigger your own audio files
with a midi keyboard, or via musical typing.  Well yes, it is possible.  The
problem is you will need a bit of sighted assistance to set it up.  Step 1: If
you don't already have one, create a software instrument with command option N.
 Then open up track info with command I.
2: at the unknown box where you choose your instrument, pick radio sounds which
is found under sound effects in the unknown pop up.
3. Press command shift k to bring up the on screen keyboard for musical typing.
 Here is where you need sighted help.  In the finder, find the audio sample you
would like to assign to a key.  The person will have to drag the file and drop
it on to one of the 18 keys shown on the on screen keyboard shown on
garageband.  After that, you can play the sample with your midi keyboard or,
your qwerty keyboard you are using on your mac.  Oh!  You get the best results
when you use AIFF or WAV files.
4.  After you have placed your samples into the on screen keyboard, press
control option I to open the item chooser.  type in save so you can find the
save instrument button.  Name it and press save.  It can now be found under the
sound effects category where you had previously selected radio sounds.

hth