Wow Esther,
Even better and I thank you.
I suspect based on my short phone chat with the cell phone store I will visit that they are already a tad aware of voiceover and the iphone. the provider originally given rights to carry the phone in the Toronto area got some very bad nasty press when one of their reps told a customer that voiceover did not even exist let alone being apart of the iphone. Your detailed description plus the combination of links here and in Scott's note lets me really get a feel for the phone.
Also explains why the term gestures is used.  finger flicks indeed.
Should stop in there early part of next week and report.
I asked the ipad question because an uninformed person from another list insisted that a keypad was required to use it at all...which made little sense.
Thanks all around,
Karen