Hi,

As Marie says, the key is interacting with the text in Preview. If you can't read continuously after interacting, check your PDF Display settings under the View menu on Preview's menu bar (VO-M to the menu bar, press "V" to go to the View menu, arrow down, press "P" to go to PDF Display, right arrow to the submenu, then arrow down to see which display mode is checked. The default is "Single Page Continuous". If "Single Page" is checked, VoiceOver will stop reading at the end of each page. This setting can be useful if, for some reason your PDF book starts reading each page in the middle due to a conversion or format problem.

In Preview you can Command-Right arrow to move to the next page, Command-Left arrow to move the previous page. Also, if your PDF supports Table of Contents organization, and you have navigated and interacted with the Outline View where the contents are listed and selected a section (e.g., for one of the Take Control guides, after downloading and opening the eBook in Preview, tab to "Outline View, Table, no selection"; interact, and select a section, then stop interacting and VO-Left arrow to the main document section of Preview, you can then use Command-Up arrow to move to the start of the previous chapter and Command-Down arrow to move the start of the next chapter. These correspond to the places you would select by navigating up and down in the Outline View. If the sidebar is not showing "Outline" view, but is instead displaying "thumbnails" or "search results" because you used Command-F to find a string in the document, you can use item chooser menu to search for "Menu Button" (e.g., VO-I, then type "b u t", press return, and arrow down to the selection and either press return or VO-Space), then bring up the contextual menu (VO-Shift-M) and arrow up to "Table of Contents". VO-Up arrow to the Outline view, interact, and select a section from the contents. This only works if the PDF document was constructed with a viewable table of contents -- you won't find this menu option in PDF files you simply create by printing with Command-P and saving to PDF.

Olivia, I don't know whether the "new keyboards" you were asking about are laptop type keyboards without the page up and page down keys, but I'll paste in part of an old post describing how pressing the Fn key in combination with the arrow keys can generate the Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys of full keyboards.
Hello Carolyn, Phil, and Others On any MacBook, MacBook Pro, or other laptops such as the earlier PowerBook and iBook series, the Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys can be accessed by pressing the Fn key in conjunction with the Arrow keys. The easy way to check this for yourself is by turning on VoiceOver's keyboard help (VO-K), then hold down the Fn key and press each of the arrow keys in succession. You'll hear: Fn+Left Arrow "Home" Fn+Right Arrow "End" Fn +Up Arrow "Page Up" Fn+Down Arrow "Page Down" and, if I can add a couple of other keys on the right side of the laptop keyboard, pressed together with the Fn key: Fn+Delete "Forward Delete" Fn +Return "Enter" The consequences of this are that commands to go to the beginning or end of a list or table, like VO-Home and VO-End, or VO-Shift-Home and VO-Shift-End to move to the first or last word in a list or table with scrolling, is that a laptop user, after interacting, will use: VO+Fn+Left Arrow to move to the first visible word in a list, table, or web page VO+Fn+Right Arrow to move to the last visible word in a list, table, or web page In a table like the Mail messages table or the Songs table of iTunes, where the list is longer than the visible page, you will want to use scrolling to move to the actual start or end of the list, and will also need to press the Shift key with this combination: VO+Fn+Shift+Left Arrow to move to the first word in a list or table with scrolling VO+Fn+Shift +Right Arrow to move to the last word in a list or table with scrolling after interacting with said list or table. Other consequences of the Fn key usage are that when using TextEdit on a Mac laptop, you can use: Fn+Down Arrow to move down a page in a document Fn+Up Arrow to move up a page in a document Fn+Delete to forward delete a character All these Fn+key combinations for laptops are specific to Mac OS X, and do not depend on using VoiceOver. HTH Cheers, Esther