Hi Chris and Dan,

Although you can't find Apple USB modems from the Apple Store any more, you can still buy them on Amazon and elsewhere if you do a Google search for:
Apple MA034Z/A External V.2 USB Modem
Alternatively, you can get a Zoom USB modem instead. There was some discussion on the macintouch web site some months ago about how these modems worked better with some of the intel Mac models than the Apple USB modem, and how at least one user had to change his OS to run in 32- bit mode in order to get his Apple USB modem to connect reliably. Here's the link to the macintouch Reader Reports site on modems:
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/modems/topic2734.html
The discussions I remember date from November 2009, and there might be more recent comments. Also, for FAXing use, another good place to check is Smile On My Mac's Pagesender FAQ:
http://www.smileonmymac.com/PageSender/faq.html
<begin excerpt>
Do I have a fax modem, or do I need to buy one?
All Apple Internal Modems are fax modems. If your Mac came with an internal modem, you've got a fax modem. If your Mac didn't come with an internal modem, you can purchase one. Customers report happiness with the Zoom 2986 External USB Modem. Apple also offers the Apple USB Modem.
<end excerpt>

HTH

Cheers,

Esther