Dear Nancy,
 Microsoft Office will not work with Voiceover.  Hopefully the new Microsoft
Office will be accessible.  I would look at going with iWork.  You can save
pages  and Numbers documents in word format.  Apple Mail works fantastic with
Voiceover. The Mac is a excellent platform and I would not go with anything
else.  Have a wonderful day.
Blessings,