Coming into the middle of this thread, I have to assume you all are running
SNow Leopard and if not, you will not hear those sounds. Otherwise, has nothing
to do with the type of keyboard you are using. Finally you may try resetting VO
back to the defaults or you can kill the VO preference files and set things up
again from scratch. Hope those sounds return.