I had this in my inbox (which I use like a todo list) for quite some time and am finally trying to find a few things. A little googling around turned up a few utilities which will extract from a decrypted DVD folder. They seemed quite old so not sure if they will work:

D-Subtitler

This thread says you can do it with Mac The Ripper:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=83503

MacTheRipper:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414/mactheripper

This thread says it can be done with ffmpegX
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/305927-turning-dvd-subtitles-into-text.html

ffmpegX
http://www.ffmpegx.com/

Hope this helps.

CB

Tiffany D wrote:
Spiros and I got the film today.  So can I have the names of some
accessible subtitle extraction software?  I would try searching on the
disk itself to see if it's a regular file, but we've pretty much
established that it's not.  Btw, I'd certainly prefer Mac software,
but if there's something for windows XP that'll do it, please let me
know.

Thanks,
Tiffanitsa