Hello; well, handbreak can be a bit confusing. The key is to put the dvd in and let dvd player start and then close that ap before starting handbreak. then when handbreak starts, you have to select the folder. once you select the folder, it will take a while and then you will have to tab through the settings. I find it works pretty good. I only have one real complaint and that is with all their presets they don't have one that will rip only audio. after it rips to an mp4 file, then i have to use max or vlc media player to get the mp3 file i wanted. the program you have may do it all for you. but regardless of software, there is no reason you can't rip dvd's with a combo drive. the only thing you can't do is burn dvd's with it. since all my sharing is done online this has never been a problem. plus if you want to burn just the audio you could still make a cd of it with the combo drive. good luck, max