Do you hear the Alva initialization sound when you connect the USB to the Mac?
I'm currently using one of these with a Macbook pro running Snow Leopard and it
is working fine.  The alva that I am using is a satellite 44 that is about 6
years old.  It is the one with the USB port only it does not have the serial
port.

Mike