There has been some talk about IM clients lately and I thought folks might be
interested in something I just learned about yesterday on another Mac-related
list. You can get your incoming IChat messages read out to you by opening the
Ichat preferences (command comma when in Ichat. There is an events pop up
button which you activate with the space bar and then arrow down the list of
events until you hear message received and press enter. There is a series of
choices found by vo right arrowing. One of those options, the last one in the
group is speak an announcement. that's a misleading label, because what this
actually does is to read the incoming message. check that check box and your
incoming messages will be read automatically. You can apparently adjust the
speed of the reading by the system preferences, speech area, but I haven't
looked for that yet so can't report. By default, at least on my system, the
voice used was Alex, but the speech rate was really slow. Since I have had the
problem with VO crashing in the Ichat html area, I was very glad to hear about
this method of hearing incoming messages. there appears to be a lot of
customization that you can do in Ichat. there are several events in that events
pop up menu, and you dcan assign sounds to them or speak announcements etc.
Hope that helps somebody.

mary