I use list view as its much easier, just press command + 2 to switch to view
mode.  Even when I was sighted I did not care much for list  or icon  grid
mode, list is a bit like scrolling horizontal level of floors a bit like going
up and down levels in a elevator but you can see more then one level at a time.
 Just use quick view to preview your documents by hitting space.

However if you do have some useful vision then cover flow is useful, especially
when flicking through pictures and pdfs