Hi, first, open system preferences, and choose accounts. Click the lock button
and enter your password, then choose the log in options list item. There is a
check box in this screen to use voice over at the log in screen, go ahead and
check that. This will not only give you speech at the log in screen, but it
will also provide speech when software updates are installed, since the user is
logged out at that point.