Hi Doug,

We have, indeed, considered RFID and have actually started preliminary talks
with some people involved in the industry.   Here are a few notes on the
topic that you may find interesting.

DEPLOYMENT
One of the barriers to the general implementation of RFID is the cost of the
labels.   The current price of VHF and UVHF tags varies between 5 and 25
cents, depending on the frequency involved.  The tags with longer antennas
are more expensive because they have considerably larger surface area and
internal material.  The tags with shorter antennas are perceptible at about
18 inches, the larger ones at as much as 30 feed,

If the tags are applied to individual consumer packages, obviously the cost
of the tags (plus the cost of using the tags plus margin) is going to have
to be added to the cost of the product.

At Wal-mart, tagging is performed at the carton and pallet/overpack level.
RFID is also currently employed in other applications such as rail car
identification, guidance paths for robots, etc. where the cost of the
circuitry can be easily absorbed because it is not one-time use.

One possible application of the tags would be at the shelf level.   There
are, as you point out, some issues with disambiguating the readings from
multiple RFID tags in the same location, which brings us to the question of
how RFID really works.

USAGE METHODOLOGY
RFID tags are reflective passive circuits; product location typically works
by triangulation from multiple sensors.

For your reference, RFID generally use GTIN numbers.  GTIN is a superset of
EAN, which is, in turn, a superset of UPC.   Our Digit-Eyes database
actually contains GTIN numbers that we are scaling down as needed to
interpret EAN or UPC.

What you do if you are running (say) a warehouse where you want to read the
GTIN numbers from the pallet and the individual cartons on the pallet is to
position sensors throughtout your reading area and tune them so that you can
computationally understand the area where they overlap (sort of like
adjusting the sprinklers on your lawn to get good coverage without drowning
a single area).

You can then, as with any triangulation exercise, determine the position of
the pallet and of the reflective tag of each box by comparing the readings
in two or more sensors.

When you have a single sensor (for instance, one that was sited in a reader)
the issue would be measuring the reflections from each of the GTIN tags,
determining which is closest, creating a transaction to the database with
the GTIN number and having the system return the result.

IMPLEMENTATION
So, in response to your question "How do we determine a product when we have
a number of products in one area, a covert full of cans and bottles, each
presenting a signal that has a 30 foot radius?" the answer is:

a)  you wait until the cost of RFID tags drops to a point where they can be
put on a single item or
b)  you use, instead, shelf tags that are situated where the product is and
either use an ancillary unit scanning methodology like visible light scans
to identify the unit
c)  to execute either  (b), you need to get the store to agree to do RFID
shelf tagging
d)  in the case of either of the options above, you also need a portable
RFID scanner that (say) can communicate with your phone.

Cordially,
Nancy Miracle