I didn't see any replies to this yet. I haven't used carbon copy cloner. Does it make it's backup into a single file? If so you could probably store that on the 1TB drive. That said, Time Machine's backup folder simply stores incremental backups until it fills up the volume and then starts deleting the oldest backups. So sooner or later that volume will fill up. I just put a 2TB drive in my other machine for TM backups and partitioned it into two 500GB volumes and a 1TB volume. The two 500s I use for two time machine backups, my laptop over the network and the local machine. Then the 1TB volume is just for general use. That seems to work well. I haven't done enough re-partitioning to know if you can resize or not without losing data. Even if you did, you could just run another time machine backup after you're done. Chances of failure of your machine at the same time that you're reconfiguring backups is pretty small. Because everything should just be files on the backup volume you shouldn't have anything stepping on anything.

CB

Mary Otten wrote:
Hi all,
I have a 1 tb hard drive which is being used by time machine. But I would also
really like to have a bootable back up, and I know TM does not do this. I have
carbon copy cloneer, which will make bootable back ups. Question is, and
perhaps its a stupid one, are the applications smart enough not to step on each
others data? If the drive were partitioned, that would be an obvious way to
solve the problem. But it isn't, and I've got several months worth of time
machine backups on it already, so should think partitioning at this time would
not be possible without data loss. is that correct?
Mary