Has anyone ever had the following problem in Mail, and how did you solve it?

Sometimes, when interacting with, and then arrowing through my list of
mailboxes, I'll come across a mailbox with a lot of messages in it.  Normally,
when arrowing through the mailbox list, VO will announce the number of messages
in the mailbox that is currently highlighted.  Once I decide on a mailbox that
contains messages of interest, I stop interacting with the mailboxes table and
VO Right Arrow over to the Messages table and interact with it.  Sometimes, but
not always, VO says no messages, even though I know that there are messages in
that particular mailbox.  If I try to up and down-arrow through the message
list that VO doesn't see, all I get is that "Bong" sound.

I can sometimes remedy the problem by exiting Mail and then going back into it.
 Sometimes, I can circumvent the problem by synchronizing all of my mailboxes.
Why is it that the number of messages in a mailbox is properly announced,
though I can't always arrow through them because VO thinks that the messages
table is empty?

Best regards from Vienna, a city whose summer has been disappointing at best!

Mike