Hi Mani,

You should probably review the basic information in the iPad manual, that can be found under the Bookmarks of Safari. But let me first answer your question. When you double tap in an edit field, such as on the address bar, VoiceOver will say either "insertion point at start" or "insertion point at end". This controls where you make your changes. You can move backwards or forwards by either words or characters, but this involves using the rotor gesture to move the rotor selection from "edit" to "typing mode" and then to "characters" or "words" and swiping up or down to move back and forth.

If you want to clear the existing text in edit mode, flick right to where you hear "Clear text" and double tap.

You might want to try flicking to the "Bookmarks" and start reading your iPad guide. I'll describe this for portrait ode. You can either touch the top left corner of the screen, and then flick right ("Back", "Forward", "Tabs", to "Bookmarks"). When you reach "Bookmarks" double tap. A Bookmarks pop-up window will appear. Flick right till you hear "iPad User Guide" and double tap. Run your finger down the left side of the screen to check the categories under the iPad User Guide. You can also do a two finger flick down to start reading from the current focus, and stop the reading with a two-finger tap on the screen. A two-finger tap will resume reading from that point. You'll want to start reading the "Accessibility" section, which is about four entries from the bottom in portrait mode. Double tap on this.

The right side of the screen will show the detailed information under the Accessibility category. You can touch the heading for "Accessibility" and do a two finger flick down to get an overview of the guide. Stop the reading at any time with a two finger double tap and flick left to go back, or right to go forward from that point. I suggest that you specially read the section on VoiceOver gestures, then Rotor Control and Using VoiceOver. The information you want about editing is in the "Entering and Editing Text" section. This assumes that you have mastered the VoiceOver gestures and have practiced them in the "Practice Gestures" area of the Settings menu.

I'd also recommend that you take a look through the iPad tutorials at the Vision Australia web site:
http://www.visionaustralia.org/info.aspx?page=2303

HTH. Cheers,

Esther

P.S. Normally I would tell you to use the iPad in landscape mode. The switch to portrait mode for these instructions is specifically to make it easier for you to access the "Accessibility" section of the iPad User Guide.