One thing when using the terminal and if connecting to other shells on other machines is to make sure the vt 100 imulation is chosen in a set statement. This translates keyboard input correctly to other machines.

This has to be done in the mac terminal and on each of any other shells. Many strange things that appear related to character input and translation are solved by this method. One handy place to do it is in each shells login or profile or bash_profile etc. scripts which run each time a shell is started. These are proceeded by a period so they do not appear as a file whin in fact they are in the home directory.

The limitation of vo in terminal is one reason I got a dos box connected to my mac to act as a speaking terminal. This uses dos screen reading capacity which is unexcelled by any other speech for control and power to access text based shellsand the respective software such as in unix and linux..

I use it also to connect to the internetvia the mac using lynx as the browser and other unix and linux type apps and utilities.

                               XB