If I may interject yeah this is a problem since 10.6.4 I believe.  Here's what
I do using the trackpad commander.  Hit enter on the message to open it, then
two finger swipe right to get into the text area, then two finger swipe down to
read all text in there.  If I weren't using the commander I'd have to shift tab
once the message is open to get into the text area.  Then type VO+A to read it.

On Sep 24, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Jonathan Cohn wrote:
>  Mark,
>
> I probably shouldn't bring in a seperate issue here..., but hI
> listened to your p'cast on reading mail on the Macintosh, and I don't
> get my mail messages to auto-read when they open.  I first have to
> interact with the text block.  Have you ever experienced this?  In
> Leopard, the message block would read without issue, but since
> upgrading, this has not worked for me.
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>

> On 23/09/2010, Mike Arrigo <n0...@charter.net> wrote:
>> I've disabled the preview pane, and I think Mark has too.
>> On Sep 23, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Carolyn Haas wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike and Mark:
>>> Perhaps it's because I haven't disabled preview pane.  I am able  to open
>>> and close messages with ctl-mouse-click, much as one would with VO-j.
>>> It's the only reason I can think of, as I didn't even realize I've been
>>> viewing preview pane.  HMMM, always learning.
>>>
>>> Carolyn

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Pete Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda