There is the "locate" UNIX command.  This has been turned off since
SpotLight was added into the system, but for those that know parts of
file names, it could be useful to turn on.  Basically the locate
command works on a globally readable database of all files on a system
and will return very quickly with the path of all files that match the
parameter givin on the command line.  This is less secure and more
global then SpotLight, but for people that are looking often looking
over the complete dis is quite a bit more efficient  then:

sudo find / -name '*pattern*' -print

Jon