Take a look at this script.  The main portion of the script is in the
"ProcessFiles" action.

This script is meant to be a "Folder Action".  It looks at all files
moved to the folder, and if they are images, it will create a copy of
the image as a TIFF file in a  selected folder. I might be
interpreting slightly off, but this should give you a good start on
your issue.

/Library/Scripts/Folder\ Action\ Scripts/Image\ -\ Duplicate\ as\ TIFF.scpt

Best wishes,

Jon