The funny part of this discussion is the camp that needs more power. I used to
think that faster processor and more ram was the ticket. I do not believe this
is the case any longer. Where I believe the new Air will shine is in the SSD. I
believe if your going to do any audio editing or run a couple VMs, you will
need ram for sure, but I suspect the 2.33Ghz processor will be sufficient for
most tasks. Storage of course will be an issue if you have a lot of data, but
remember these machines are notebooks and not desktops. True most people are
using their notebooks as desktops and I am one of those; however, for what I
do, my machine is more than capable. In fact I would say my machine is over
capable. I have a MBP with a 2.8Ghz processor, 4Gb ram, and 500Gb storage. I
can run without any problems, the Mac OS, VMWare Fusion running xp for some
coursework, a Linux VM, and on the Mac OS I am using AUdiobook Builder to
convert books to a format suitable to play on my iPhone, surf the web, reading
e-mail, and streaming/playing local audio within iTUnes and my machine is
really not working all that hard. Well AUdiobook Builder does seem to make it
sweat a little, but I notice no lag at all. So, I would suspect the Air at 2.33
would likely do pretty well.
The thing to remember is where all the choke points are. The data shuffling
in/out of the processor and hard disk reads and writes. If you speed up all the
choke-points, I think you would find all of this becomes less of an issue. Does
this make sense? I am not familiar with the other brands of machines some have
mentioned, but are you truly comparing like hardware? DO these other machines
have an SSD and is the architecture  the same? If your just comparing physical
size, then you are not truly comparing like machines.

Scott