Hi Annie,

You wrote:
I am very frustrated about kobobooks, to me it does not seem to work well. I am a braille reader, and I am not using much speech, I was so glad, when i heard about kobobooks. I bought a book, that I would love to read, but I got very disappointed, the app constantly says that internet connection is timed out. And it is not very accessible. I did not give up, so I downloaded the book, I have bought to my mac, and then I have hoped, that I could transfer it to ibooks, that works quite well for me. But that is not possible because of the protected file, the file is an acsm file. Can I do anything at all, do any of you who are reading braille have any experiences with kobobooks.

Best regards Annie.

I don't use a Braille reader, but I am able to read Kobo books with either VoiceOver gestures or with Bluetooth keyboard control. This app used to work more easily for VoiceOver users when there was only an iPhone version. It's when they introduced an iPad version, and then integrated the iPad and iPhone versions into a single universal binary that people encountered accessibility problems. Once you get the setup configured you should be able to use the Kobo eReader app fairly easily. The problem is that the setup process can be utterly opaque to new users, and Kobo keeps changing the the reader control interface for getting to the settings menu for making the initial set up change. The good thing is that once you've made the set up change, you don't have to worry about the successive changes in how to get to the settings menu in each successive version release of the app. (So far, this format has changed with each of the last three releases since the app became accessible again.) The current version of the Kobo eReader app (version 3.5, released October 7, 2010) actually improved the method of accessing the eBook table of contents by making it easier to get to, so it's worth describing the changes, and I'll cc these instructions to the macvisionaries list. At the same time, they've now mislabeled two of the buttons -- and one of the mislabeled buttons is the one that new VoiceOver users need to get to in order to make the initial set up change. You can't read a book with DRM that you purchased through Kobo in iBooks or in any other app on an iDevice or computer (except for using the desktop reader for Adobe Digitial Editions, which is not accessible to software on any platform, PC or Mac). However, you can transfer (DRM-free) eBooks directly to your library for the Kobo eReader app through Drop box or through a Safari download without having to add the ePub files to your iTunes library and sync, as an alternate way to get the books onto your iDevice. (This isn't possible with iBooks, but multiple ways to directly download eBooks to your device has been a feature of the Stanza app for some time.)

Here's the overview: when you do a read all gesture (two finger flick down to read all from the current point or two finger flick up to read all from the top of the page), or its counterpart keyboard shortcut (VO-A to read from current point or VO-B to read from top of page), VoiceOver reads to the end of the chapter and stops. This is true in other eBook reading apps as well. In order to avoid having to toggle VoiceOver off at the end of each chapter and having to flick right to advance to the next chapter, then toggle VoiceOver on again, you need to change the default page transition style (which I think is now set to "Fade") to "Scrolling". When "Scrolling" is used, the start of each chapter has a pair of links that VoiceOver announces as "link image" before the text. Activating (with double tap gesture or VO- Space keyboard shortcut) the "link image" in the top left corner of the screen moves you to the previous chapter, while activating the "link image" in the top right corner of the screen moves you to the next chapter. (The first or last chapter of a book will only have one link instead of a pair.) Similarly, at the end of each chapter there will be a corresponding pair of links, and activating the "link image" in the bottom left corner of the screen moves you to the previous chapter. I believe that in a previous interaction with Kobo, it was suggested that they label these links as "Previous Chapter" or "Next Chapter", but as long as you understand the link layout and action, these links are usable.

In the case of moving forwards by a chapter using the links at the start of a chapter, focus moves to the correspondingly positioned "link image" on the new screen (e.g., if you double tapped on the link in the top right corner of chapter 1, you'll be positioned at the link in the top right corner of chapter 2, and can start reading with either a two finger flick down (from the current point) or with a two finger flick up (from top of page), which reads out the two "link images"). If you activate the links to move to the next chapter from the end of a chapter (bottom right corner of the screen), your focus moves into the first screen of the next chapter, but focus is somewhere in the bottom half of the screen, so you should start your reading with a two finger flick up (read from the top) or VO-B keyboard shortcut. Similarly, if you move back a chapter from the link at the top left corner of the screen at the start of a new chapter, your focus moves back to the last screen of the previous chapter, but you're placed roughly in the middle of that screen. The only time when this behavior is different is when you have a single screen "chapter", with link images in all four corners that you navigate to. This might occur if there is a brief forward, or a graphic with a map on the page. In this instance your focus from the activated link in the first chapter will move to the corresponding link image in the screen for the second chapter (bottom right moves to bottom right, top left moves to top left, etc.)

In order to access the settings menu, after you've opened a book in your library, which you should keep in list view by double tapping "List" at the top left of the "I'm Reading" page instead of using "Shelf" at the top right, you'll need to toggle on page controls. Do this by touching the center of the screen and double tapping. (Once you've set things up by hand, you can also toggle page controls on and off with the keyboard, by navigating to a line, word, or paragraph of text in the center of the screen and pressing VO-Space, but you should do the initial set up by hand.) When page controls are toggled on, you'll bring up additional control buttons at the top and bottom of the screen. In particular, you'll find an "I'm Reading" button in the top left corner of the screen, that allows you to navigate back to the main screen with a list of your library contents, and the 5 buttons for accessing your library ("I'm Reading", bottom left), the Kobo store ("Discover", "Browse", and "Search" at the bottom center), and your account details ("Account", bottom right).

The page control buttons at the top of the screen are: "I'm Reading" (takes you back to your library page), "Icon_TOC" (gives you access to a navigable table of contents for the book), and "Icon_Gear" (switches between one of two page control views for the page controls at the bottom of the page). In one of the page control views, you'll find a slider at the bottom of the screen. VoiceOver will say something like "16 per cent, adjustable; swipe up or down to adjust the value". This is your position in the book. You cannot actually adjust your position in the book with this slider unless you use the VoiceOver passthrough gesture of double tap and hold, then move your finger right or left along the slider, stopping according to the per centage feedback announcements. Otherwise, swiping up or down moves the slider, but doesn't cause the current page of text to update. If you want to change your position in the book, it's better to the use the "Icon_TOC" button at the top of the screen and to the right and double tap a chapter location from the list view of the table of contents. When you're done, double tap the "Back" button at the top left corner of the "Contents" screen, and you'll be taken back to your book.

The second page control view is required for accessing the settings menu so you can set the page transition style to "Scrolling". This view places two rows of four buttons each at the bottom of the screen in place of the slider. The buttons control font size, screen brightness, and give you access to the settings menu. There is also a button to toggle on or off the screen rotation lock. (This works independently of the control to lock your screen into portrait orientation; if you don't have your screen locked into portrait orientation from the App Switcher view, you can still lock your Kobo eReader screen into its current orientation of either portrait or landscape by double tapping this button. However, since VoiceOver doesn't announce the current setting -- only the fact that you've toggled the screen rotation lock -- you're better off locking into portrait setting outside of the app.)

You toggle between the two page control views by double tapping the "Icon_Gear" button at the top right corner of the screen with page controls brought up. The settings button is at the bottom right corner of the screen -- you can reach it by doing a four finger flick down (to go to the element at the end of the screen), or by simply running your finger down the right side of the screen from the "Icon_Gear" button, or by flicking right from any of the buttons at the bottom half of the screen until you reach the end of what VoiceOver announces. The only issue is that this button, which used to be labeled and announced as the "Display Settings" button, is currently labeled "toggle night reading mode" button. In fact, all three of the last buttons on this screen are labeled as "toggle night reading mode" button in the current version of the (3.5, released October 7, 2010). The actual button labels at the bottom of the screen should be:
1a) "Reduce text size" (first row, leftmost button)
1b) "Increase text size" (first row, second button from left)
1c) "Reduce brightness" (first row, third button from left)
1d) "Increase brightness" (first row, rightmost button)
2a) "Toggle screen location lock" (second row, bottom left button)
2b) "Toggle night reading mode" (second row, second button from left)
2c) "Add or remove bookmarks" (second row, third button from left) -- (mis)announced as "Toggle night reading mode" 2d) "Display Settings" (second row, button at bottom right corner of screen) -- also (mis)announced as "Toggle night reading mode"

To set the "Page Transition Style"

1. Toggle on page controls for your eBook by touching the center of the screen (and possibly do a two finger tap to stop VoiceOver's reading the book), and then double tapping. 2. Then touch the bottom of the screen to make sure you have the eight buttons instead of the slider. 3. If you feel the position slider, double tap the "Icon_Gear" button in the top right corner of the screen to switch to the page control view. 4. Navigate to the mislabeled last button on the screen in the bottom right corner (e.g., do a four finger flick down or run your finger down the right side of the screen from the "Icon_Gear" button) and double tap. (This is the "Display Settings" button incorrectly labeled.) 5. Flick right to the "Page Transition Style" heading, and then flick right past "Plain", "Page Flip", "Page Fade", and "Page Curl" to the last entry in the list, "Scrolling", and double tap to select. 6. Double tap the "Back" button in the top left corner of the screen to leave the settings screen.

Now, you're all set to read your Kobo eBooks with keyboard controls. (I'll leave you to work out the Braille sequences). First dismiss the page controls from the screen. I do this by touching the center of the screen and doing a double tap to toggle the page controls off. If you're using the Bluetooth keyboard (or iPad keyboard dock) to use keyboard controls to direct your reading, navigate to any part of the text with VO-Right arrow or with just your right arrow key if you have Quick Nav turned on, and press VO-Space. On my iPod Touch screen the page controls overlie the area of links. I can still get to the links and hear "link image" announced at the top (or bottom) of a page if I flick right to these from the page controls at the top of the screen (in the case of the "link images" at the start of a chapter, or if I flick left to these from the page controls at the bottom of the screen (in the case of the "link images" at the bottom of a chapter"), and I can also do a two finger flick up (or VO-B on the keyboard) to read from the top of the page and reach the links, but if I touch the screen at these positions I'll get the page control buttons at the corners announced instead of the link images. And if I double tap or VO-Space with my keyboard when I hear VoiceOver announce these "link images" while the page controls are toggled on, VoiceOver will activate the page control buttons that overlie the "link image" controls (e.g., "I'm Reading" and "Icon_Gear" buttons at the start of a chapter) instead of the links. The way you can toggle on (or off) page controls via keyboard shortcuts is by doing a VO-Space on some text in the middle of the page. For example, if page controls are on, and I want to turn them off with my keyboard, I'll do a VO-B (read all, starting from the top) or VO-Right arrow (or just press the Right arrow if Quick Nav is turned on), then when VoiceOver gets past the "Icon_Gear" button and any "link_images" that might be at the start of a page, I'll press VO-Space. You will likely want to toggle Quick Nav on (by pressing the left and right arrow keys), for easier navigation (e.g. Control+Up arrow to move to start of chapter, or to first "I'm Reading" button if page controls are toggled on; Control+Down arrow to move to the end of a chapter, or to what should be announced as "Display Settings" but currently gets announced as (the third) "Toggle Night Reading mode" button if page controls are toggled on, and the "Icon_Gear" button was pressed to toggle the second page control view -- otherwise, you'll get the slider for your book position announced if you're in the first page control view.) Quick Nav will also let you scroll down (or up) by pages with Option+Down (or Up) arrow, and move to the next or previous elements just by pressing the arrow keys (without holding down the Control and Option/Alt "VO" keys at the same time to navigate.)

When you come to the end of a chapter, VO-Space on the final "link image" to move to the next chapter, then press VO-B to start reading from the top. (If you're not using a keyboard, double tap when VoiceOver announces the second "link image". I can do my double tap from anywhere on the screen if I don't try to do this too fast, since focus has moved to this link, but I usually double tap in the bottom right corner of the screen. Then I do a two finger flick up to start reading from the top of the page.

You can scroll up or down (three finger flicks or Option+up and down arrow keys with Quick Nav on), and move to the first or last element of the Chapter (four finger flicks or Control+up and down arrow keys with Quick nav on). All the other navigation techniques with the rotor will also work (e.g., you can navigate by headings, although I only seem to get one heading at the start of a chapter). To navigate to a different chapter using the table of contents, bring up page controls (do a two finger tap to pause VoiceOver, or press the Control key on the keyboard, then double tap in the text area or VO-Space with the keyboard). Navigate to the "Icon_TOC" button (four finger flick up to the "I'm Reading" button, flick right to "Icon_TOC" button and double tap; or Control+Up arrow to "I'm Reading" with the keyboard, then Right arrow (assuming Quick Nav is on) and VO-Space to bring up the Contents list view screen. Flick right or otherwise navigate to the entry you want to select and double tap. Then navigate back to the "Back" button (e.g., four finger flick up, Control+Up arrow with the keyboard) and double tap or VO-Space to return to your current reading. Touch the center of the screen and double tap (or navigate to the text area using the right arrow key of the keyboard and VO- Space) to dismiss the page controls and start reading again from your new location (two finger flick up or VO-B). If you happen to navigate to a "Table of Contents" within the first few pages of your eBook, with what appears to have selectable entries, ignore it in favor of the Contents page your reach with the "Icon_TOC" button of page controls. That page is only good for information purposes; you can't use it to navigate to chapters.

One issue is that you cannot set bookmarks in scrolling mode, and if you do switch modes and set a bookmark, it will only apply to the start of the chapter. Further, when you switch back to "Scrolling" mode and start reading with VoiceOver on with the bookmark set, you'll be thrown out of the app when you start reading again. I've tried this with various combinations of toggling VoiceOver on and off.

There is currently no "Find" command for the Kobo app as there is for iBooks (and, for that matter, for the Stanza app), but this is coming in a later version. If you point to a download page in Safari with an epub file that can be downloaded, and double tap on the link, Safari will show up with an "Open in…" button. Double tap that button and all the apps that can open that file format will show up as buttons. (For me this includes apps such as Stanza and Filer, as well as Kobo). If you double tap the "Kobo" button, the (DRM-free) epub book will be added to your library, and the Kobo app will open (in your current book, however). To check that the new book is in your library, touch the center of the screen and double tap to bring up page controls, then navigate to the "I'm Reading" button at the top left corner and double tap. Your list view of books in your library should include the new addition. This does not work for unsupported file formats (e.g. txt, .rtf, or other such files) and it does not work for files with DRM -- such as for ePub files from other apps such as iBooks.

If you want to try out a direct upload to Kobo, you can go to:

http://www.epubbooks.com/

On the individual book pages for each book, you'll find a link image to the epub book giving the size of the download. (It's right after the information about "please check the copyright status" that follows the description of work by title, author, and publication date.) This download setup is not quite as slick as the way things can be set up to automatically download into Stanza, but pretty near.

I'm sorry that this took so long to post a reply, but I lost the first draft of this post to a mail server error, and it took some time to recreate. I'll also point you to the earlier posts with instructions of how to fix the setup for Kobo books, just in case there's something that I left out from the description. The first post went up a few days after version 3.4 restored accessibility (August 20, 2010). New users who read and followed those instructions were able to set up their apps successfully. However, Kobo issued version 3.4.1 (August 28, 2010) about a day after I posted my instructions. This meant that anyone who downloaded the new version of the app, but read the old instructions, couldn't apply the fix because simply double tapping no longer gave you page controls that included the "Display Settings" button -- you now had to double tap the "Icon_Gear" button to toggle into the alternate view of page controls that showed this button. That version of the app had three rows of buttons: two rows of four buttons, followed by a third row of two buttons. The "Display Settings" button was along the right edge of the screen roughly below the "Icon_Gear" button, in that first row of four. In the present version 3.5 of the app (October 7, 2010), the "Display Settings" button is also along the right edge of the screen, roughly below the "Icon_Gear" button, but it is in the last of two rows of four buttons instead of being at the top of three rows (i.e., it's at the bottom right corner of the screen instead of being at the right edge but boosted up vertically closer to the mid point of the screen). It is now mislabeled as one of three "Toggle Night Reading Mode" buttons (which used to be the name of the button at the bottom right corner of the screen). The addition of the "Icon_TOC" button at the top right of the screen, accessible from either of the two page control modes, is a plus, since this information was previously buried inside an "Overview" button on the bottom half of the page controls, and required multiple gestures (double tap to bring up page controls, navigate to and double tap "Icon_Gear" button to toggle to the second page control view option, navigate to the "Overview" button in the bottom half of the page, then find the contents.)

Here's the link to the post of instructions on how to set up scrolling mode for version 3.4:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/msg28833.html
(Instructions for Kobo Books: How to change to scrolling mode and do table of contents navigation)

Here's the link to the revised instructions for version 3.4.1 posted a few days later:
http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/msg29876.html
(Re: Instructions for Kobo Books: How to change to scrolling mode and do table of contents navigation)

You shouldn't have to read these, but I went into a fair amount of background in the descriptions, and I'm including the links in case there's something I left out in the current explanation.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther