Hum, well you're right I'm super confused, but I think I can clarify.

Actually, I was wrong in my original post which merks things up even more.

To understand what I'm doing, I'll give you a brief description of the braille
connect.

The front edge is cut out on a slant and has the following controls left to
right.
function keys 1 and 2, left space, joystick, right space, and function keys 3
and 4.  The function keys are called f1 through f4 on the mac.
on the top face the braille display and it's router keys are at the front.  On
each side of the braille display are three round keys running front to back
along the ends of the display.  The mac calls these d1 through d6.
behind the router keys is a set of 8 braille input keys which are square and
laid out in an ergonomic braille keyboard style.  Mac calls these dot1 through
dot8.When I was talking about d1+d2+d3, I actually meant dot1+dot2+dot3.

What I eventualy hope to accomplish is to force my mac to emulate the
conventions of a standard note taker, such as the braille note, braille sense,
or packmate.

You have some experience with these, so just nod along here.
In the notetaker convention, space+1 = previous letter, space+4 = next letter.
space+2 = previous word, space+5 = next word.
Space+3 = previous sentence, space+6 = next sentence.
Space+2+3 equals previous paragraph, space+5+6 = next paragraph.
Space+1+2+3 = go to top, space+4+5+6 = go to end.
add the word dot before all those numbers if you want to be mackish about it.

OK, so with the braille connect, we're breaking the convention already, because
next and previous letter are joystick left and right, but that's OK.

Here's what I'd like to do for the bc.  I'll make a nice little table here.
Function, mac OS command, braille connect command,
Previous word, option left arrow, space+dot1,
next word, option right arrow, space+dot4,
Previous paragraph, option up arrow, space+dot2,
next paragraph, option down arrow, space+dot5,
beginning of line, control right arrow, space+dot3,
end of line, control right arrow, space+dot6,
go to top, command up arrow, space+1+2+3,
go to bottom, command down arrow, space+dot4+dot5+dot6.

I don't know anything about the brailleno control surface, but it wouldn't be
hard to put previous and next letter on dots 1 and 4, then move everything else
outward and put next and previous paragraph on dots 23 and 56.

If you don't normally use these commands, make yourself a reply to this
message, type some text and then practice going word by word, paragraph by
paragraph, top and bottom.  Watch what happens on your brailleno as you
navigate with mac OS10 keyboard shortcuts.  It shows you the information you
need without having to interact.  Here I am at the bottom of a message I typed,
and if I want to go to the top I press command up arrow.  The braille display
says hum, because that's the first word I typed.  To get back here and continue
typing I skim the message paragraraph by paragraph til I get beck to my
signature.

I'm not interacting with the edit box that I'm using to type this message.  The
reason is that I don't have a need to interact.  I can edit without, but while
I'm not interacting, I can also decide to quickly jump over to the cc field and
copy this message to apple accessibility. Or, I can be monitoring two parts of
the screen at once, making a change in one area and observing how that change
effects another area.

As I look around for ways to add more features to my braille controller, it
strikes me that there are no provisions for mac OS10 commands.  There are
hundreds of voiceover commands to choose from, including the ability to run
scrips from braille keys and all sorts of business, but if voiceover doesn't do
it, neither does the braille display.  I think this is a serious oversight that
needs to be corrected, because mac OS itself has a lot to offer in terms of
keyboard functionality.

Of course,  I'm still screaming for grade two braille input and some other
things.  It will be interesting to see what OS10.7 offers us in terms of
braille functionality.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf
User support consultant,
One on one access technology support and training over the phone or in person,
1-888-255-5194
http://www.erik-burggraaf.com