Unless something has changed, connecting a display will make a difference, it
doesn't have to be turned on, just connected. The 2008 model could be fooled in
to thinking there was a monitor connected by connecting an adapter that would
allow it to be connected to a TV, it was the DVI to Video adapter. However, on
newer models, the analog connection was removed from the DVI port removing this
option, and the current mini only has hdmi and mini display ports I think.