Hi Mary,

You wrote:
> I just got my apple tv yesterday, and I have noticed that the remote also
> does things on my Mac mini, unwanted things, like messing with the volume. Is
> there anythig I can do to make the Mini not see the remote so that voice over
> and other sounds don't go missing?

The remotes can be paired to control a specific computer.  If your
computer is not paired with a remote, it will take controls from any
remote within range.  To prevent your computer from being controlled
by any remote, select "Disable remote control infrared receiver" in
the Security preferences pane.

HTH.  Cheers,
Esther