Hi Erik,

I'm not sure where you might have read that you have to pay for the mac
software, since it is available for download directly from the abisee support
page. Here is the link

http://www.abisee.com/support/software.html

I'm not sure why it's such a huge download though. It's about a gigabyte.
Anyway, I downloaded it when it first came out but haven't had the opportunity
to connect my eyepal and try it out yet.

Hope this helps.